As Benjamin Franklin said, "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn." Mentors are essential for anyone looking to better themselves in any way. Because we can’t learn everything ourselves via trial and error; life’s too short. The truth is, mentors can see where we need to improve where we often cannot. Movie maker George Lucas noted, "Mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults that we would like. It's the only way we grow." A good mentor will always be honest with you and tell you exactly how it is rather than downplay any weaknesses they see in you because they know you can improve and become better than you are. If you are not fully aware of where you are lacking, then you will not intentionally focus energy on improving in those areas and they will continue holding you back from reaching your full potential.
The constructive criticism and encouragement that a mentor can offer will help you to see things in yourself that may lead to your success or failure, and help you to align your daily actions with your goals so they can be realized as quickly as possible.
In addition to the reasons listed above, there are many others to have a mentor. Compiled below is a list of the 7 major reasons why finding a mentor should be at the top of everyone’s to-do list:
- Mentors can determine where we need to improve better than we can on our own.
- Mentors create ways to stimulate our personal and professional growth that is unique to us.
- Mentors are set necessary boundaries that we often do not have the discipline to set for ourselves.
- Mentors offer accountability and encouragement to help keep us going and in the right direction.
- Mentors will listen to and give feedback on ideas with unbiased and unfiltered opinion.
- Mentors are trusted advisers and connectors.
- Mentors have experience you can learn from to prevent making classic "beginners mistakes".